Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Chocolate Covered Pretzels

Chocolate Covered Pretzels are simple to make and inexpensive.  You can create them at home for about 20 cents a piece.   They cost about $1.00 per pretzel in the candy store at my local mall, but mine are bigger and prettier!  Scroll down for some helpful tips.




I like to use Wilton Candy Melts in Light Cocoa & White.  They cost $3.00 for a 12 oz bag at Jo-Ann's, and they are often on sale for less.  You can make 18-20 pretzels with one bag.  Do NOT use the chocolate bark from Wal-Mart.  It's a bit cheaper, but definitely not worth it in my book.





I heat my chocolate in the microwave.  I pour one bag of chocolate into a glass bowl and heat on high for 45 seconds.  Mix.  Then microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Mix.  Then microwave on high for another 15 seconds and mix.  I find it's important to mix each time to allow the chocolate to melt evenly and to prevent it from burning.





I like to use Sourdough Style pretzels from the San Francisco Pretzel Company.   A big tub (3.25 lb) at Costco is about $5.50.




When you get to the bottom of the bowl and there is not enough melted chocolate to dip another pretzel, break a pretzel into small pieces into the chocolate and mix.  Drop by spoonfuls onto your cookie sheet (I like to cover my cookie sheets with wax paper, but parchment paper or foil works). These little bites make great samples for hubby & kids.




A batch of 40 chocolate covered pretzels takes about the same amount of time to bake a batch of cookies.  These make great gifts, and are perfect for special occasions or pot-luck dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment