Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sweet Memories of my Mother ~ A Tribute to my Mom at her 90th Birthday Party

My Dad & Mom at the Party


Me, Sharing Memories, and my Girls, Singing Back-Up

The girls sang the words in italics (from Elvis' Memories), and I spoke the words in plain font.  It turned out really well.  My daughters have lovely voices.  I joined in on the last chorus.  BTW:  I am the ninth of ten children.  Doesn't my mother look great!



Sweet Memories of my Mother

Memories … Pressed between the pages of my mind.
Memories … Sweetened through the ages just like wine.
Memories … Memories …

I have a lot of sweet memories of Mom.  As a young child I loved to watch her sew and cook.  I think mainly because I just wanted to be near to her.  I especially remember Mom making her famous, home-made stuffing for the holidays.  She would let Greg and I cut bread cubes, and boy, did that make me feel special.  Even from my youth I have suffered from severe headaches.  But I remember they were so much easier to bear if Mom was there.  She wouldn’t leave my bedside until I had fallen asleep.  Like everything else, it was just BETTER if Mom was there.  Mom also spent many hours volunteering at the Catholic School and Church.  The Nuns had many kind words to say about her, which is no easy feat!

Memories …
Quiet thoughts come floating down,
And settle softly to the ground,
Like gold of autumn leaves around my feet.
I touch them and they burst apart with sweet memories.
Sweet memories …

Mom has been a good mother and a good friend.  Somehow, she has managed to combine the two without neglecting either role.  I would beg for rides to and from high school, and Mom would absolutely refuse, except for days when it was pouring down rain.  Then she would happily chauffer me and my friends to school and home again.  I would often come home from school or work and sit down at the kitchen table, just Mom and me, AND a box of Entenmanns’s Danish.  We would each declare, “I’ll just have a sliver.”  We would chat.  Then have another sliver and another, until we had almost demolished the entire pastry!  And I’m sure all of us kids remember Mom coming home very late at night from working at the hospital and making the rounds to each bedroom to make sure all of us were home safe and in bed.  She couldn’t go to sleep until all of her chicks were securely gathered in for the night.  And who can forget Mom’s contagious laugh?  Once she gets going, there is no stopping her, and soon the whole room is joining in on the fun.

Memories …
Of holding hands and red bouquets,
And twilights trimmed in purple haze.
And laughing eyes and simple ways,
And quiet nights and gentle days with you.
Memories … Memories …

As an adult with my own family, I often turn to my mother’s strengths and talents to inspire me.  Okay … I can handle six children all under the age of ten … Mom did that!  Or … I can paint the entire interior of my house … Mom did that!  Or … I can cook to feed a crowd … Mom did that!  Even in this new role in my life, mother-in-law, I still look to Mom’s example.  She’s been very supportive of my marriage, always kind and loving to Jeff and me and the children, but never interfering or offering unsolicited advice.  What a fine example!  At 90, she still is a blessing AND a beauty!

Memories … Pressed between the pages of my mind.
Memories … Sweetened through the ages just like wine.
Memories … Memories …


No comments:

Post a Comment